Recipe by flower7
I got a free sample of these potatoes in the mail from Betty Crocker and was looking for a way to use them other than just as mashed potatoes. This would be a great way to use left over "real" mashed potatoes (use about 5-6 cups prepared) and homemade shredded barbecue. Instead of beef, barbecued pork or chicken could also be used.
- 1 (6 5/8 ounce) box instant roasted garlic mashed potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 (18 ounce) container shredded beef with barbecue sauce
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can French-fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 11x7-inch baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- Bring water and butter to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan. Remove from heat and add milk and stir in both pouches of seasoned potato flakes just until well blended. Let set for one minute or until liquid is fully absorbed then stir vigorously with a fork until smooth.
- Spread half of the potatoes over bottom of baking dish. Layer with beef, 1 cup of the cheese and remaining potatoes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake about 30 minutes or until hot.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle onions over cheese.
- Bake uncovered 3 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and onions are brown and crisp.