1 hr 15 mins
I've adapted this recipe from "The Barbecue Bible" by Steven Raichlin. If you like your barbecue beans on the sweet side, then these are the beans for you. I know that the list of ingredients is long, but most of them are probably already in your pantry. Don't be tempted to leave out the fresh garlic or fresh gingerroot--it makes a difference. This is mandatory with our ribs--all you need is a potato salad and coleslaw and you're all set.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon (cut into 1/4 inch slivers)
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounces per can)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup molasses (not blackstrap molasses)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (i use "k.c. masterpiece original")
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder (I use Coleman's English mustard powder)
- 1 tablespoon plain prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Put bacon in large, heavy pot over medium heat and cook until lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- 4Add onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 5Remove pot from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- 6Pour into baking dish.
- 7Bake, covered, for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecue Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.7
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 482.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 13.2 g