Recipe by Chef Gary in Mesquite, TX
A simple baked bean recipe using canned pork and beans, and a few staples from the kitchen. The fresh jalapeños give it a special southern kick!
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut into squares
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and membrane removed
- 3 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning, powdered
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, original recipe
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a skillet until the bacon is slightly crispy; remove bacon from grease and set aside.
- Sauté onions and jalapeño in remaining bacon grease until almost tender.
- Place beans in a greased 2 quart casserole dish, mix in dry barbecue seasoning, barbecue sauce, mustard, and undrained onions and jalapeños.
- Top with bacon, spreading across the surface of the dish to cover the beans.
- Bake uncovered in a 325°F oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.