Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This makes a nice change from regular 15-bean soup. Add 1 lb diced ham if desired.
- 1 (20 ounce) packageham-flavored 15 bean soup mix
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Set aside the soup mix seasoning packet and put the beans in a large colander.
- Pick through the beans to remove any debris, then rinse under running water.
- Put the beans in the slow cooker, cover them with water, and soak for 8 hours.
- Pour the beans back into the colander, discarding the used water, and rinse under running water.
- Return the beans to the slow cooker and add 1 quart of fresh water.
- Add the barbecue sauce and chopped onions, stirring to mix.
- Cover and cook on low 10 hours or until beans are tender.
- An hour before the soup is done, add the seasoning packet and stir.
- Just before serving the soup, season it with salt and pepper.
I used a littel more sauce and I added some pasta and it turned out pretty good.
I think that the recipe needed a little bit more barbecue sauce and, to make it more soupy (which it wasn't so much), a little more water.