A quick, simple meal using breasts of Barbary Duck. They are served with fresh caramelized peaches, cooked with a hint of five spice powder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups veal stock or 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 ounces butter (3/4 stick)
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- 7/8 cup ruby port
- 1/2 cup madeira wine
- 2 large yellow peaches, unskinned and halved with the stones removed
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 5 ounces barbary duck breasts
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- candied orange peel, if desired (to garnish)
- 1Heat one third of the butter in a saucepan and saute the shallots with the honey and about half the five spice powder until softened and caramelized, about 7 minutes.
- 2Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated.
- 3Pour in the port and Madeira and boil until the liquid is syrupy and has reduced by 2/3.
- 4Add the stock and boil for about 15 minutes or until reduced by half, then strain through a fine sieve, rubbing gently with the back of a ladle.
- 5Season this sauce and set aside.
- 6To glaze the peaches, sprinkle with the remainder of the five spice powder and the icing sugar.
- 7Heat another third of the butter in a non stick frying pan and gently saute the peaches, colouring them all over.
- 8Take care not to overcook them.
- 9Set aside and reserve the pan juices in a warm place.
- 10Preheat oven to 425*F.
- 11Score the fatty skin of the duck breasts; this ensures that the skin will become crispy when cooked.
- 12Without using any oil, heat a non stick frying pan until quite hot.
- 13Add the duck breasts, skin side down and cook for about 3 minutes, colouring all over.
- 14Cover the breasts with butter paper or buttered greaseproof paper and cook in the oven for about 7 to 8 minutes, turning once or twice.
- 15REmove and allow to rest for 3 minutes before slicing each breast into 8 slices.
- 16While the duck is resting, cook the spinach in a little water and the remaining butter for about 1 minute, or until wilted.
- 17Drain well and swquuese outlightly in a clean tea towel or kitchen paper towels.
- 18Place spinache mound in the centre of each warmed plate and arrange the sliced duck over and around each to make a pyramid shape.
- 19Cut eat peach half in four and arrange on and around the duck.
- 20Trickle over the reserved pan juices.
- 21Return the sauce to the boil, check the seasoning and spoon it over and around the meat.
- 22Garnish with Candied orange peel slivers if desired.
Browse Our Top Duck Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbary Duck With Glazed Peaches
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 809.6
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 187.7 mg
- Sodium 380.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 28.7 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar