Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick, simple meal using breasts of Barbary Duck. They are served with fresh caramelized peaches, cooked with a hint of five spice powder.
- 1 3⁄4 cups veal stock or 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock or 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 ounces butter (3/4 stick)
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- 7⁄8 cup ruby port
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 2 large yellow peaches, unskinned and halved with the stones removed
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 5 ounces barbary duck breasts
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- candied orange peel, if desired (to garnish)
- Heat one third of the butter in a saucepan and saute the shallots with the honey and about half the five spice powder until softened and caramelized, about 7 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated.
- Pour in the port and Madeira and boil until the liquid is syrupy and has reduced by 2/3.
- Add the stock and boil for about 15 minutes or until reduced by half, then strain through a fine sieve, rubbing gently with the back of a ladle.
- Season this sauce and set aside.
- To glaze the peaches, sprinkle with the remainder of the five spice powder and the icing sugar.
- Heat another third of the butter in a non stick frying pan and gently saute the peaches, colouring them all over.
- Take care not to overcook them.
- Set aside and reserve the pan juices in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Score the fatty skin of the duck breasts; this ensures that the skin will become crispy when cooked.
- Without using any oil, heat a non stick frying pan until quite hot.
- Add the duck breasts, skin side down and cook for about 3 minutes, colouring all over.
- Cover the breasts with butter paper or buttered greaseproof paper and cook in the oven for about 7 to 8 minutes, turning once or twice.
- REmove and allow to rest for 3 minutes before slicing each breast into 8 slices.
- While the duck is resting, cook the spinach in a little water and the remaining butter for about 1 minute, or until wilted.
- Drain well and swquuese outlightly in a clean tea towel or kitchen paper towels.
- Place spinache mound in the centre of each warmed plate and arrange the sliced duck over and around each to make a pyramid shape.
- Cut eat peach half in four and arrange on and around the duck.
- Trickle over the reserved pan juices.
- Return the sauce to the boil, check the seasoning and spoon it over and around the meat.
- Garnish with Candied orange peel slivers if desired.