Recipe by mollypaul
Barbari bread is a Middle Eastern flat-bread, about 1-1 1/2" thick and either round or oval. From an online site.
Top Review by Baby Kato
This was a lovely bread. I can't believe that I made this, it was so quick and easy to make. Loved the flavor and texture. Thanks for sharing Molly. Made for Feb Fun in the Sun NA/ME 2013.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups flour (or more, as needed)
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Add sugar and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pour yeast mixture in large bowl or food processor, add remaining warm water, and salt--mix well.
- Gradually add flour while stirring constantly.
- After flour has been added, knead by hand, adding more of the flour if needed until the dough is not sticky.
- Pour oil in a large bowl and place dough in bowl.
- Cover with a clean damp towel and let rise 4 hours in warm, dark place without moving.
- Punch air out while dough is in the bowl.
- Flip dough over and return to bowl.
- Cover with new damp towel and allow to rise until double.
- Place cookie sheet in center of oven and preheat to 500°F.
- Divide dough into 11 parts, each piece about 5 inches in diameter.
- Dust a tray with corn meal and place loaves on tray.
- With damp hands, press fingertips into each loaf, then sprinkle tops with sesame seeds.
- Put loaves on the cookie sheet, corn meal side down, and bake sesame side up for 8 minutes in oven.
- Turn bread over and bake corn meal side up for 4 minutes in closed oven.
- Remove loaves from oven.
- Cover with clean towel, serve hot or wrap in foil and freeze (toast before serving.).