Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been my favorite rice dish for many years, the oregano, mushrooms and green onions, blend to make it special. The recipe was given to me by 'Barbara', the best friend I ever had.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup rice (Uncle Ben's Converted works best)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- water, added to broth to make 1 cup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter, add mushrooms and oregano, saute, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and green onions and continue to saute and stir for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add liquid and salt, put into casserole, cover and bake 450 degrees for 1 hour.
This is very yummy rice! I do think that the butter could be reduced to about 1/3 cup and I will try that next time. It seemed quite greasy to me. I would also decrease the oregano for my personal taste but everyone else thought it was perfect. I added in about a cup of frozen peas at the very end. My husband is a rice hater and. . . he went back for seconds!! Yup, this is a winner. Thanks so much for posting it.
This recipe was good & easy. It needed more seasoning for my taste though. Next time I will have to add more seasonings to kick it up some.
Mary, Rice is such a great dish,and you can make so many varieties of things with it,desserts,main dishes,sidedishes,I love making up rice dishes,and trying other peoples recipes,I used your recipe as a side dish to go with meatloaf it was really good.Thanks so much,Darlene