Recipe by BarbryT
This became "Barbara's" after some tweaking of a recipe in "Monday to Friday Cookbook" by Michele Urvater, when friends starting asking for "your" flank steak dinner. It is one of my favorite meals. Good microwave-reheated for lunch too . Take the slices of rare to medium rare steak off, then microwave veggies and rice, return steak slices. The hot rice and veggies warm up the thin steak slices without over-cooking them.
Top Review by mums the word
I loved everything about this dinner. The steak was tender and juicy, the colours of the vegetables/meat on the platter were gorgeous and the smell was out of this world. Everyone enjoyed it thoroughly. My flank steak took about 7 minutes per side but it was a little on the thick side. I would not change a thing about this, it was perfect. Thx so much Barbara!
- 10 -12 ounces flank steaks or 10 -12 ounces sirloin steaks
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, if desired
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, slivered
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced
- 3 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle salt on bottom of heavy skillet.
- Heat about 1 minute; add steak and cook over fairly high heat about 3 minutes per side for medium rare, 4 to 5 minutes per side for a larger steak.
- Remove steak from skillet; season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Off the heat, add the butter to the skillet.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms; saute over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add the corn and scallions; cover and cook another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Uncover and reduce until there is just enough liquid to moisten the vegetables.
- Thinly slice meat, across the grain, at a 45-degree angle.
- To serve, put cooked rice on plate or in a wide bowl; add vegetables; add slices of steak.