Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my mother's soup, it is so easy and unbelievably delicious. I made it at the last minute for my New Year's Eve guests and I received raves. It is convinient as the vegetables can be made ahead of time and reheated with the soup with the cream/half & half with the cheese at the last minute. I use less cheese, use at your discretion!
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 small red potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream or 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 lb American cheese, in slices
- Chop all ingredients until fine in a food processor.
- In saucepan, combine first six ingredients, simmer until tender. DO NOT OVERCOOK as vegetables should retain texture.
- Put thru food processor.
- Warm cream but do not boil until it thickens.
- Slowly add broth and vegetables with seasonings and cheese.
- Makes four servings.
This was just okay for us. I don't know what I was expecting, but this tasted more like a potato soup than carrots. We both thought it needed something...Made for PAC Fall 2009.
I saw this recipe and have been craving it ever since! I whipped this us tonight and it was indeed wonderful. The ginger and the cheese really make this special. Tell your mom "thanks." I will be looking for more of your recipes, Jules127. Roxygirl