Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a very easy stew with a rich tomato base -- our newest favorite.
Make and share this Barbara's Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- Quickly sear stewing beef in a soup pot with a small amount of oil, the onions, and the garlic.
- Add the water, thyme, beef broth, diced tomatoes, and the tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for an hour and a half or more.
- Note: The broth will reduce nicely if not covered, but care needs to be taken to not let it reduce too much and endanger going dry.
- About an hour before serving, add vegetables.
- Increase heat to bring the stew back to a boil; then reduce and let simmer until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Biscuits go nicely with this for a complete meal.