Recipe by Donna Matthews
My friend Barbara makes very good pies, so, if I want a simple old-fashioned apple pie, this is the recipe I use.
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core, and slice apples thinly.
- In a medium size bowl, mix apples with flour, sugar, and spices until no more dry ingredients remain.
- Add more sugar to taste, depending on tartness of apples.
- At this point, the filling can be frozen in a zipper bag in a pie pan (to retain shape) to be used later.
- Put filling into prepared pie crust of your choice.
- Add top crust, making cut-outs or slashes for venting.
- Trim and crimp edges.
- Place a protective strip of aluminum foil around edge of crust.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes.