Kim D.'s Note:
Posted for the ZWT III (Caribbean Category). The addition of yams or sweet potatoes makes this fish cake unusual. This recipe comes from a cookbook titled, "Jim Walker's Cooking in Barbados".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Poach the fish in water with the onion, salt and pepper for about 20 minutes.
- 2Peel the yams and chop roughly and cook 20 minutes in boiling water until tender.
- 3Drain yams and mash until smooth.
- 4Add milk to the mashed yams.
- 5Flake the fish and discard the skin.
- 6Add fish to the yams.
- 7Add beaten egg and parsley, mixing well.
- 8Divide mixture into 12 portions and form into fish cakes.
- 9Place flour in a shallow bowl and coat cakes in flour.
- 10Fry in hot oil, turning cakes to brown both sides.
- 11Cook until browned and crisp.
Browse Our Top Mahi Mahi Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbados Yam Fish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.7
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 187.0 mg
- Sodium 402.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 41.8 g