Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Serve this recipe over Basmati rice Suggested wine: Sauvignon Blanc.
- 3 lbs shrimp, cooked, shelled and deveined the day before
- 1⁄2 head celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree (or tomato sauce)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- peanuts or slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Sauté chopped celery, onion, peppers and garlic in butter in a large skillet.
- Remove to large pot or deep casserole and add one large can of tomato puree.
- Simmer until the ingredients are tender.
- Add curry and drop shrimp into mixture.
- Simmer on very low heat for a few minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and cook for about 20-30 minutes until thoroughly blended and well heated.
An excellent curry dish! I halved this recipe for just 2 of us & made 1 substantial chg, but was otherwise faithful to the recipe. We are not fond of tomato-based curry dishes, so I subbed coconut milk for the tomato sauce. I used pre-cooked Icelandic baby shrimp & added them for the last few min of cooking time b4 serving over rice. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
I halved the recipe and used an anaheim pepper and uncooked shrimp instead. This is probably the best curry recipe I've tried so far. Thank you so much.