Recipe by Kim D.
I have not tried this recipe yet, but I'm posting it for ZWT III (Caribbean Catagory). This recipe looks realy good and I hope to try it soon. This recipe comes from a cookbook titled, "Jim Walker's Cooking in Barbados".
Top Review by windhorse23
I made this recipe for part of my own private ZWT. I had high hopes for it, but it let me down. Some comments: There was not nearly enough filling for the 8 peppers. I had to make extra as I ran out. This definitely serves more than four people. The filling was bland. The recipe doesn't call for salt/pepper, which should be included at the very least. Also I would add more garlic. I think it would work better if there were only four peppers, cut lengthwise and filled on their sides. But the finished product was just missing something--not sure what.
- 8 medium green bell peppers
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 banana, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 5 tablespoons chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tops off each bell pepper and remove the stalks leaving the tops intact.
- Remove the seeds and rinse peppers.
- Trim just a little bit of the bottom of the peppers so that they will stand securely in the baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together: shrimp, rice, tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, thyme, banana, and lime juice.
- Fill each pepper with filling and place in the baking dish.
- Top the tops back on the peppers and pour the chicken stock in the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375F for 30-40 minutes.