1/4 Photos of Barbacoa
7 hrs 30 mins
This is a Northern Mexican recipe that is adapted from a recipe by Rick Bayless. This uses a chuck roast and is made in the crock pot. My DBF asks me to make this again and again. Serve it with rice, sour cream, beans, and warmed tortillas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/4-1/3 cup ground dried ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (cider vinegar is common in Mexico)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water for marinade (plus more for the slow cooker)
- 3 lbs bone-in chuck roast
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges for serving
- 1Cut a slit in the side of each garlic clove. Place them in a microwaveable bowl, cover with plastic wrap, poke holes in the top and microwave for 30 seconds on high. Cool until handleable, then slip off the papery husks.
- 2One by one, drop the garlic cloves into a running food processor, letting each get thoroughly chopped before adding the next. Add the chile powder, cumin, black pepper, vinegar, salt and water and pulse to blend.
- 3Place the meat in a large crock pot. Scrape the marinade onto the meat, then spread it sloppily over the top and sides. Pour enough water into the slow-cooker to cover the lower 1/2 inch of roast. Cover and slow cook on high for 6 hours or until meat is tender. Carefully remove meat with a slotted spoon onto a large plate, pulling away the bones.
- 4Degrease the cooking broth and boil it down in a saucepan to concentrate the flavors. Ladle it over the meat and garnish with the onions and cilantro.
Nutritional Facts for Barbacoa
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.4
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 661.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 49.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: