Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Posted for a recipe request, I have not made this yet. It's from Tambrey's Recipes. I'm guessing at the amount of servings.
- 3 lbs chuck roast or 3 lbs rump roast
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1⁄2 lb green chili, roasted, skinned & sliced
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno juice
- In a crockpot, combine the roast, garlic, bay leaves, apple cider vinegar, chopped onion, and whole black pepper.
- Cook for a minimum of 6 hours or until meat falls apart. Cool meat and shred. Remove broth from crockpot and strain.
- Add meat back to crockpot, then add the tomato sauce, chili powder, green chilies and jalapeno juice. Stir in enough of the cooking broth to keep moist and cook 2 more hours.
- Serve with flour tortillas and roll them like burritos.
This is great and this is the recipe I use too. I cut the peppercorns to 1 tablespoon otherwise it tastes too peppery and I love pepper! I also add sugar and lime juice into the tomato sauce mixture to tone the heat a bit. Sometimes I'll add a can of rotel in there too. Also I make sure I use California chili powder because it's much more mild than the New Mexico .Wonderful recipe!
This recipe was much too spicy for most of my family, but I understand why other people do like it. It was like a chorizo, except it wasn't a sausage. I've never seen a gallon of milk vanish so fast.
Neta - I also found this on Tambrey's site years ago and you are so right.... this is an excellent recipe. We low carb in my house and so I use Whole Wheat tortillas and have shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream, onions and salsa on the side. Those that want to roll them like burritos can and those that are skipping the bread just make a big salad out of the Barbacoa. Thanks for posting this on my favorite recipe site!!!