Recipe by babygirl65
This is the way my dad makes barbacoa when he doesn't have time to make it the traditional way. I'm posting the recipe so that I don't lose it... (again)
Top Review by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This was great. We eat barbacoa at least one Sunday a month. I usually go out an buy it already made. Most places only make it on the weekend. We had house guests from up north during the week and they wanted to try barbacoa, so I followed this recipe. It was as good as any I have ever eaten. I'll make this again for sure.
- 2 -3 lbs beef, cheek meat
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 -4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- First, trim as much fat as you can from meat. Place in a slow cooker.
- In a blender, add about 1 cup of water. Blend cilantro, garlic (i usually use all of the bulb), onion, salt and pepper with water. (you can use as much or as little spices you want, depending on your taste).
- Pour this mixture over meat then add about 2-3 cups of more water depending on how much meat you are cooking.
- Cook meat in slow cooker on low for about 8 -10 hours. Again, this depends on how much meat you have.
- If you are going to eat this for breakfast (which is the traditional way), cook the day before and let is cool overnight. (I usually start cooking mine on Saturday AM until about 6PM, then let it cool. When cool enough, I refrigerate overnight).
- In the morning (Sunday AM) BEFORE heating up, skim all the grease that comes to the top.
- TOPPINGS: Chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped fresh jalapenos, shredded cheese, & sliced avocados.
- CHEEK MEAT: Beef cheek meat is very tender but very very fatty. You may want to buy more or less meat, depending on the size. You can use beef roast, if you want, but cheek meat is AWESOME (if you can find it).