Recipe by Studentchef
From the Avon International Cookbook. According to the cookbook Bara Brith is welsh for Speckled bread. I guess it's because of the currants and/or raisins used in the recipe. If you buy active dry yeast in a small container like I do, use 2 teaspoons for the recipe. Rising of the dough is part of prep time, as you need to let it sit and rise.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this as a gift for a friend of mine ~ even sliced it for her, so managed to keep a couple of pieces for taste-testing! Loved the use of buttermilk here & I also used real butter & raisins (was generous with the latter)! Very nice tasting, & I now have a 2nd loaf in the oven just for the 2 of us here at home! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- / - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup dried currants or 2⁄3 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1 1/4 flour and the other dry ingredients (first five).
- In a saucepan heat buttermilk, sugar, butter and salt just until warm (115-120 degrees F), making sure butter is melted; stir constantly.
- Add to flour mixture, adding the egg in as well. Beat on low speed of electric mixer for 30 seconds. Then beat at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in currant or raisins and as much of the remaining flour as can be mixed with a spoon. Turn onot floured surface and knead in enough of the remaining flour to make moderately stiff dough (takes 6-8 minutes).
- Shape into ball and place into a greased bowl, turning it over once. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 1/4 hours). Punch down and shape into a loaf. Put into a greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan, cover and let rise till nearly double (30 minutes).
- Bake in oven at 375 degree F for 35-40 minutes, making sure to cover with foil the last 20 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.