Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this recipe in a Gooseberry Patch Christmas Craft Book. It was submitted by Jean Hayes of LaPorte, TX (need to give credit where credit is due). This pie was absolutely wonderful! You can use fresh or frozen cranberries. If you use frozen, don't thaw them. Also, for those of you who need to avoid wheat, this can be made with Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour.
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- Lightly butter a 9" glass pie plate.
- Spread cranberries over bottom.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup sugar and pecans.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and add remaining one cup sugar; mix well.
- Blend in flour, butter, and shortening, beating well after each addition.
- Pour over cranberries.
- Bake a 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.
- If desired, serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
I added thinly sliced Granny Smith apples; however, there seemed to be a lot of crust and not enough filling for my taste. Also, the crust was too thick to spread easily over the fruit so I added a bit of milk. Next time I will likely make a regular crust for my pie instead. The flavor was very good but I just prefer less crust.
Very nice and different type of dessert. I doubled the recipe and put it into a 9x13, but next time would use my 10x14, as the filling was a bit too thick. The only change I made was to use sucanat in place of 1/2 the sugar in the batter. This was so easy to make, and I guess I would call it a cobbler; I thought the texture of the batter was similar to cobbler. This was great with whipped cream, but vanilla ice cream may be even better!
AQBSOLUTELY GREAT CRANBERRY PIE ~ Very different, very tasty! I've made cranberry pies with lots of other fruit combos & in a number of variations, but it's a first with this one, & it really is a winner! Wish I could give it a long row of stars, & I'll certainly be making this several times during the end-of-year holidays! Thanks so much for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a bonus in the currrent Summer Spectacular event!]