Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe from the Bar-B Tavel Plaza in Black River Falls, Minn. When I try this recipe I think I will leave out the food coloring. Don't think it needs it as it is only for asthetic reasons. Prep and cook times are estimates at they were not listed.
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1 tablespoon yellow food coloring
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 4 -5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Using a 2 gallon soup pot, combine water and chicken base. Heat to mix. Add onion, celery, carrots and chicken. Add food coloring and bring to a boil. Continue to boil while making the dumplings.
- To make dumplings, gradually add flour and salt to beaten eggs, mixing with wooden spoon. Continue to add flour until firm yet sticky dough forms.
- When vegetables are tender, transfer dumpling dough to plate. With plate near boiling pot, cut off bits of dough that are the size of small eggs with large serving spoon. Drop into broth.
- Cook until dumplings float to the top.