Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
In the summer this is done on the grill. But in the winter we bring it inside to the broiler. Can't let a little thing like weather keep us from our Bar-B-Qued chicken!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 chicken, cut into quarters
- In 10 inch skillet, heat oil; add onion and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, and remaining sauce ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens to spreading consistancy.
- Reserve 1/2 cup to serve with chicken.
- Place chicken on grill (or in broiler) and cook 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Baste with sauce and continue cooking and basting until chicken is done (about 20 more minutes).
This was excellent! As many before me have said, another great recipe Inez! We grilled outdoors, since we live in Phoenix and it is never really too cold to go outside :) I didn't have red wine vinegar, so I mixed some merlot, vinegar, and a touch of balsamic vinegar together to equal 1/4 cup. My whole family and I are licking our fingers! Thanks!
Great way to cook chicken. Never had it on the barbecue yet, but there's time for that yet. My boyfriend loves it and his brothers always want to come over when I am cooking it! Thanks
Very tasty barbeque sauce. I liked the idea of reserving a little sauce to serve with the chicken - best if it's served warm.