Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
My reverse-engineered recipe for Banquet's classic "Crispy Fried Chicken" captures the flavor and crunch of the original -- with a moist, fresh, tender homestyle quality. Everyone in my family unanimously loves this recipe best out of ALL of my fried chicken recipes, if that tells you something! PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
- 8 -16 pieces premium quality fresh chicken
- 8 cups water or 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 4 tablespoons ground soya granules (texturized soy protein)
- 6 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt (2 tablespoons, plus 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 4 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground leaf thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, packed
- 3 1⁄2 cups pre-sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts warm water
DEEP-FRYING FAT (CANOLA OR VEGETABLE OIL OKAY)
- pure vegetable shortening
- RINSE chicken; MARINATE chicken at least 2 hours in refrigerator, in the thoroughly blended and dissolved BRINE solution.
- GRIND soya granules (texturized soy protein) in a clean spice mill or coffee grinder (preferably, grind in two batches), until 4 tablespoons are yielded; GRIND any other seasonings that need to be ground, separately (grind as finely as possible -- especially fennel seeds).
- MEASURE the BREADING ingredients into a large bowl except the flour and cornstarch; BLEND mixture well using a whisk; BREAK up any clumps if present using the back of a spoon; MIX in 3 1/2 cups pre-sifted all-purpose flour plus 1/2 cup packed cornstarch, using the whisk to blend well.
- POUR 2 quarts warm water into a large container for the WATER WASH.
- REMOVE chicken from the BRINE using tongs.
- DIP each breaded portion chicken at a time into the BREADING until evenly coated.
- DIP chicken into the WATER WASH, followed with the BREADING again; REMOVE double-breaded chicken with tongs and place on a rack; ALLOW chicken to rest and absorb breading for a few minutes.
- PREHEAT manufacturer's recommended amount of frying fat in deep-fryer to 315°F (OR) preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 315°F (maintain, using a deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- ADD breaded chicken to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time); LOWER the basket slowly into the hot fat (or gently lower breaded chicken pieces using tongs into stovetop pot, turning once halfway through frying duration); FRY chicken between 15-18 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done).
- DRAIN chicken on wire rack over baking sheet; TRANSFER into a preheated 170°F oven until all chicken has been fried; SERVE and enjoy!
This was exactly what I was looking for. It tastes just like Banquet's crispy fried chicken! Thank you for this recipe!