Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This gooey, sweet and delicious treat will go down great with litle ones
- 175 g butter, room temperature
- 75 g caster sugar
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 110 g butter
- 110 g light muscovado sugar
- 1 (397 g) tin condensed milk
- 1 large firm but ripe banana
- 1 (200 g) bar luxury chocolate
- You will also need 30cm x 20cm swiss-roll tin.
- pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- slice butter into a food processor bowl and add the sugar.
- whiz until soft and light and well creamed.
- add the flour and process again, using the pulse switch until dough clings together in coarse crumbs.
- turn mixture into prepared swiss-roll tin and spread out with spatula.
- press all over with floured knuckles to form an even base.
- prick with a fork.
- bake for 15 minutes or until light golden and firm to the touch.
- let shortbread base cool in the baking tin.
- put butter, sugar and condensed milk into a saucepan.
- stir over a low heat until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved.
- then bring mixture to the boil.
- stirring constantly because it will catch easily.
- cook the mixture for 5-10 minutes until it forms a golden caramel.
- then dip the base of the pan into cold water to stop it cooking any longer.
- slice banana into 5mm slices.
- let the caramel cool slightly then stir in banana pieces.
- pour caramel over the shortbread.
- spread it out and level it with a spatula.
- set aside for about an hour to cool set and firm.
- to finish:.
- place the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of hot but not boiling water, making sure that the base of the bowl does not touch the water.
- sllow chocolate to melt.
- when it has melted, quickly pour over caramel shortbread in the tin and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- chill in fridge until chocolate sets firm.
- cut into shortbread squares and store in plastic container in a cool place.