Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This Banoffee Pie is a sinfully delicious treat. It is a graham cracker crust pie filled with three layers: bottom layer of velvety toffee, middle layer of sliced bananas and topped with whipped cream sprinkled with cocoa powder or luscious chocolate shavings. This is different from most Banoffee Pie recipes because it is completely from scratch. It doesn't use canned sweetened condensed milk to make the toffee filling (also referred to as dulce de leche). Making the toffee filling is very time-consuming but well worth the effort. If you are looking for a delectable completely homemade treat, this is certainly the recipe for you.
Dulce de Leche Filling
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, hot cocoa (optional garnish)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate curls (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dulce de Leche Filling:.
- Place all dulce de leche ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 1/2 - 4 hours, stirring and scraping the sides of the pan frequently until reduced by half. It should leave a thick coating on your spoon.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. As it cools, it will firm up and resemble a pudding pie filling.
- Pie Crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter.
- Press evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and firm.
- Place on a wire rack and cool until room temperature.
- Pie Filling & Topping:.
- Once the dulce de leche has cooled, pour into pie crust.
- Arrange banana slices over filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Pour over banana slices.
- To garnish, dust lightly with cocoa powder OR with chocolate shavings.
- Chill for 2 hours, serve and enjoy!