Recipe by I'mPat
From November 2007 Table Magazine. Have not included chilling times for filling or base (2 hours 35 minutes).
Top Review by Ginger Rose
Mmmmmh, banoffee pie tastes so good! I boiled the filling for about 4 minutes and it set nicely. I then covered the pie with about 3/4 cup cream. Thanks for this easy recipe : its delicious!
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain flour (185 grams sifted)
- 125 g butter (cold chopped)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 60 g butter (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (110 grams)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 bananas (thickly sliced on the diagonal just before serving)
- whipped cream (to serve)
- nutmeg (grated to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 22cm loose-based flan tin.
- Sift flour into a large bowl and rub in butter, using fingertips, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Or mix in a food processo.
- Stir in sugar, add egg yolk and 1-2 tablespoons water, mixing with a metal spatula, until mixture comes together. Or if usin a food processor put in suga, mix then add egg yolk, mix and then add water (1 tablespoon at a time) until mixture comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius or 180 degree celsius for fan forced ovens.
- Roll pastry between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until 5mm thick.
- Ease into prepared pan, press into sides and trim edges.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- To blind bake - line pastry with baking paper and fill with dried rice or pasta (you will only be able to reuse these for blind baking) or use purpose made ceramic beads - bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove rice/pasta/beads and paper and return base oven and bake for a further 15 minutes until golden.
- Combine condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a heavy based saucepan on low heat, stirring for about 10 minutes until golden. Cool.
- Pour caramel into pastry case and chill for 2 hours, until firm.
- Arrange sliced bananas on top.
- Slice and serve with a large dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of grated nutmeg.