Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was taken from "The New Muffin", a low fat/no fat alternative to an old favourite. They are exceedingly delicious. Technically they are supposed to make 12 large muffins, but since I have a mini muffin tin and you can purchase mini gingernuts, I made use of that instead. I also caramelised light condensed milk, instead of purchasing a pre-caramelised can as was originally suggested.
- If you need to caramelise your condensed milk, here is the technique I used. Firstly, measure out your 1/2 C into a small pie plate. Cover this with tinfoil. Place this pie dish inside a larger one and fill that with water. Cook in the oven for about an hour at 425 degrees F. This should make it thick and caramel coloured. It is not recommended to heat it in the tin. There are other techniques available using the stove top or the microwave.
- Place your gingernuts in the bottom of the muffin pans. A slight spray of cooking oil might help here as they proved a little difficult to extract intact without it.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre.
- Mix together the caramelised condensed milk and mashed bananas in a separate bowl.
- Whisk together oil, egg and milk and combine with caramel bananas.
- Fold these into the dry ingredients and spoon into muffin trays. Mixture is quite runny.
- Sprinkle almonds on top of each muffin, to taste.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy.