Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious banana cake on a biscuit base.
- 1 (400 g) can condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk! Be careful!)
- 3 large bananas
- 25 cinnamon biscuits (1 packet) or 25 ginger biscuits (similar digestives will do)
- 1⁄2 pint double cream (225ml) or 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter (you may need more) or 2 tablespoons margarine (you may need more)
- Crush the biscuits in a freezer bag with a rolling pin until they are reduced to crumbs.
- Gently heat some butter in a saucepan until liquid (or just leave out at room temperature to soften). Pour liquid/soft butter into crumbs and mix well until crumbs and butter start to bind together.
- Transfer the crumbs to a round dish and pat with a spoon or hands so that they cover the base. Place in the fridge to set.
- Put the tin of condensed milk in a pan of boiling water or in a steam pan with water (NB- don't open the tin first) and allow to boil for about 1 1/2 or 2 hours. When done, remove the tin and leave to cool a little (when done, the condensed milk has caramelised). When cool enough to handle, open the tin carefully and pour/spoon the toffee from the tin onto the biscuit base of the dish.
- Place back in the fridge to cool.
- Slice the bananas and arrange them on the top of the toffee so they cover it.
- Whip the cream until peaking, then fold on top and smooth out. (You can dust with chocolate or cinnamon powder for effect).
- Keep in the fridge until needed, covered with cling-film.
- * You can cook the condensed milk a day before making the cake.
WOW!!! This was fantastic. Have never attempted Banoffee Pie before but this was so easy to make, and tasted great. I used gingernut and chocolate biscuits, and it was fantastic. Thanks for posting!!!