Recipe by Dawn
My husband and I both put each other through college. We found the name "Bankruptcy Stew" very fitting! We also found that chatting while chopping up the vegetables was a good time to catch up with each other. This makes a thick and hearty stew-who says there isn't a silver lining in every cloud!
Top Review by Miss Kitty
I prepared this recipe according to the directions except for the celery, but only because I didn't have any. Upon serving, I did add grated cheddar cheese. This is a thick, hearty stew with a lot of flavor! This one definitely goes in the make-it-again category. My "Picky Panel of Judges" gave this recipe an overall rating of 5 stars.
- 2 lbs round steaks (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 4 large potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 celery (, sliced)
- 3 carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non stick skillet brown beef cubes over medium heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour over medium heat or until meat is tender.
- Stir occasionally.
- May add more water if mixture becomes too thick.
- Enjoy, may serve with French crusty bread.