Recipe by Eismeer
This was handed to me by a Bulgarian Lady, who ran a restaurant/Pub near my University, frequented by lots of students. This is rich, filling and a bit time consuming, but really worth the effort. This makes a lot for a hungry crowd.
- 500 g flour
- 50 ml oil (canola)
- 50 ml water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- phyllo pastry sheet, instead
- 2 eggs
- 250 g bulgarian sheep cheese (or feta)
- 50 g butter (melted)
- 50 ml sparkling water
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare dough out of ingredients and separate in 6 equal portions.
- Let rest in fridge while preparing filling and custard.
- Crumble or mash cheese with a fork and mix with eggs, until mixture appears to be homogeneous.
- Roll out the 6 dough portions to thin sheets (rolling pin, dust surface with flour to prevent dough from sticking).
- Brush each sheet of dough with butter and put filling on them evenly.
- Roll up (cigar like) and form one large spiral out of the dough rolls in a buttered form attaching the end of one to the beginning of the next dough roll (rose shape might hit it optically :)).
- Mix sparkling water and 2 eggs and pour over Banitza.
- Bake at 180°C until Banitza is golden brown and custard and filling have set.
- Enjoy with green and/or tamatoe salad for instance.