Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From "The BBQ Bible" for the region of Morocco. Bani Marine Street is one of the barbecue lanes in Marrakesh, a crowded street off the Jema al-Fna marketplace lined with simple storefront grill restaurants. Posting for ZWT 6, so hasn't been tried by me. Time doesn't include marinating time.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef sirloin, boneless (cut into 1/2 in. cubes)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus 1 tbsp. for serving)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (plus 1 tbsp. for serving)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine the onion, parsley, paprika, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons cumin, the white pepper and oil in a large baking dish. Add the beef and toss to thoroughly to coat. Cover and let marinate, in refrigerator, for at least 2 hours but preferably 8.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Arrange kebabs on hot grate and grill, turning once with tongs, until the meat is cooked to taste, 3 to 4 minutes per side (6-8 mins in all) for medium. Moroccans tend to eat their beef well done.
- To serve, place 1 tablespoons each of salt and cumin, in serparate tiny bowls on table, along with optional shallot relish, harissa and bread. Let each person season their kebabs with the salt and cumin.
Hallejulia !! These are awesome !! Made recipe as posted with no adjustments. Loved the cumin on these as you can taste it, just right, and not overpowering. I did marinate these for 8 hours, as suggested as these hit the spot. Made for Market tag.