Recipe by That is Dr House to you
Thanks to b-man for posting this to recipesecrets with the tofu change. To quote the man at his finest "known as Happy Pancakes or Vietnamese Crepes are large yellow pancakes -- traditionally stuffed with bean sprouts and shrimp -- that look like lacy-thin crispy omelets."
- 4 ounces water packed extra firm tofu, well drained
- 1 small onion
- 3 large button mushrooms
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- lettuce leaf
- spearmint, leaves
- Thai sweet chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Use the peanut oil or other neutral tasting oil.
- Press the tofu to remove as much water as possible.
- Peel and slice onions.
- Slice the mushrooms. Wash sprouts and set aside to drain.
- The tofu should be 1/4 inch square and 2 inches long when you slice it.
- Now heat oil over high heat and place the mushroom, tofu and onion in a single layer on bottom of pan. Saute over high heat until vegetables are browned on bottom.
- Whisk flour, turmeric, water and milk to form thin batter. When tofu is ready add batter to pan slowly. You don't want the veggies to float to the edges. And tilt carefully to distribute batter evenly.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Place sprouts on 1/2 pancake and cook for two or three more minutes until you see the underside of pancake is golden and crispy when you check edges.
- Fold pancake over sprouts and slide onto serving plate.
- Make sure each person gets lettuce and mint leaves. TO eat cut off pieces [bite size]and wrap in lettuce leaf with mint and a bit of chili sauce.
- Do not depend on the time. Use desired results to tell you when the next step or when it is done.