Recipe by evelyn/athens
Typically great Vietnamese street food.
Top Review by Studentchef
This was a very filling and tasty sandwich. I did manage to find mock pork (I know, but Montreal has a large vegan/kosher communities, so we find ways of cheating without having to have the real thing). This was an entire meal in of itself. I used turkey, because I'm prefered it to the other meats.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup julienned carrot
- 1⁄2 cup julienned daikon radish
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1 tablespoon roast pork seasoning, available in Asian markets
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 (10 inch) French baguettes
- mayonnaise, as needed
- 8 slices bologna
- 8 slices salami or 8 slices ham or 8 slices turkey
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro stem
- 1⁄4 medium English cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- fresh ground black pepper
- asian chili oil, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the slaw: In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and vinegar and bring to a boil. Transfer the vinegar mixture to a bowl and cool. Add the carrot and daikon, mix well, and season with salt. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes or store in the refrigerator up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the seasoned pork: Heat the oil in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the pork, seasoning, garlic, and pepper and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the heat and set aside covered with foil to keep warm.
- Make the sandwiches: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the baguettes open lengthwise, and slather the insides with mayonnaise. Arrange the baguettes on a baking sheet and bake until hot and crusty about 5 minutes. Remove the baguettes from the oven and immediately fill each with some of the seasoned pork. In each sandwich, arrange 2 slices each of the bologna and salami, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, 1 slice cucumber, ground pepper, and chili oil, if using. Serve immediately, with the slaw on the side or in the sandwiches.