Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is posted for the Zaar World Tour II. I have not tried this. It is compliments of http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/1435 . Time and servings are estimates. This goes also with the Grilled Fruit Kabobs Recipe that I have posted.
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lime, zest of, grated
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Place the lemon juice, lime zest, star anise, cinnamon, and cardamom in a small bowl.
- With a small sharp knife, cut the vanilla bean pod in half lengthwise. Scrape out the beans and add them to the bowl, along with the pod halves.
- Place the water and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the spice mixture to the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened slightly, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Pour the cooled syrup into a container with a tight-fitting lid, cover, and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- It will keep for up to 2 weeks.