1/5 Photos of Bangers 'n Mash Casserole
Galley Wench's Note:
Pub-Grub on the go! You'll be the hit of the office! Developed this recipe as an entry into RZ Craze E #5 contest and came in first place!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer, preferrably dark (water may be substituted)
- 8 -10 bratwursts (not smoked)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 large red onions, cut in half and sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup French-fried onions
- 1To prepare potatoes:.
- 2Cook the potatoes in water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3Once tender, thoroughly drain the water.
- 4Add sour cream, butter and prepared mustard; mash until smooth and creamy.
- 5While potatoes are cooking:.
- 6Prepare the sausages by pricking them several times with a kitchen fork.
- 7In sauce pan, bring the beer (or water) to a simmer over medium heat.
- 8Add the sausages and poach for 5 minutes.
- 9Removes sausages from pan and discard beer/water.
- 10Heat oil and mustard seed in large skillet over medium heat.
- 11Add the onions, sausage, salt and pepper.
- 12Cook until onions are tender and sausages are light golden brown, about 5-6 minutes (stirring often to avoid scorching the onions).
- 13Remove sausages, slice into thirds and place in a casserole.
- 14Add flour to pan, stirring until well combined.
- 15Stir in sugar, balsamic vinegar and thyme; cook for 2 minutes.
- 16Pour in beef broth; bring to the boil and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until gravy thickens.
- 17Pour onion gravy over sausages; top casserole with mashed potatoes and sprinkle french fried onions on the top.
- 18Just before serving, bake uncovered at 350 degrees fahrenheit for about 25 minutes until top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bangers 'n Mash Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.2
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 104.0 mg
- Sodium 1376.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 21.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: