Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Dublin Bay Irish Pub and Grill Ames, Iowa
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 cup potato, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 cup flour
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 cumberland sausage
Beer Cheese Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup beer, Shiner Bock
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2-1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- granulated garlic, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Mix together mashed potatoes, shredded potatoes, egg, and buttermilk.
- Season with granulated garlic, salt, and pepper and thicken with flour.
- You do not want the mixture to thick, as you need a flat pancake to put meat/peppers into, cradled like a taco.
- Preheat a skillet, spray with non-spray cooking spray just before adding boxty mixture.
- Cook mixture as a pancake on medium to medium-low heat.
- Flip over and continue to cook until done.
- In a separate pan fry sausages until nicely browned, remove and slice.
- Return to pan, adding sliced peppers cooking until tender and sausages are browned.
- Mix together and cook until simmering: Shiner Bock beer (or other Bavarian type beer), beef stock, cheddar cheese, and granulated garlic, salt and pepper to make Beer Cheese Sauce.
- Top cooked pancake with sausage and peppers to make boxty.
- Pour beer cheese sauce over boxty.
I made these just as stated with the exception of the sausage. I left out and served the Boxty as a side dish. The pancakes were easy to make and turned out great, but the cheese sauce is waht makes this dish! Made for PRMR spring 2012.