Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a pretty close copy cat recipe of Bang Bang Shrimp. It's easier than it looks and is well worth the work. :)
- 453.59 g shrimp (peeled)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 236.59 ml cornstarch
- 118.29 ml panko breadcrumbs
- 2 nice lettuce leaves (whole)
- 1 scallion (chopped)
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise
- 118.29 ml Thai sweet chili sauce
- 4.92 ml sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2.46-4.92 ml chili-garlic sauce (be careful it's hot!)
- Make sauce ahead of time (up to 1 day ahead) to allow flavors to blend and cool the heat of the spice.
- Peel shrimp and put them in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and mix well. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat deep fryer or oil in pan to 350 degrees.
- Pour buttermilk over shrimp and mix thouroughly.
- Drain shrimp in colander.
- Put shrimp on a cookie sheet or something with sides so excess buttermilk doesn't drain all over the place.
- Mix cornstarch and panko bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the panko/cornstarch mixture over the shrimp.
- Flip shrimp over and sprinkle remaining mixture over shrimp.
- ***Make sure they're lightly breaded - that's the key.***.
- Fry shrimp until golden brown. The panko will get darker than the rest.
- After frying and draining, place shrimp on lettuce leaves.
- Drizzle sauce over the shrimp (as little or as much as you want).
- Sprinkle with scallions.
- Serve & enjoy.