Recipe by ElevationGrace
This is a pretty close copy cat recipe of Bang Bang Shrimp. It's easier than it looks and is well worth the work. :)
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 nice lettuce leaves (whole)
- 1 scallion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce (be careful it's hot!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sauce ahead of time (up to 1 day ahead) to allow flavors to blend and cool the heat of the spice.
- Peel shrimp and put them in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and mix well. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat deep fryer or oil in pan to 350 degrees.
- Pour buttermilk over shrimp and mix thouroughly.
- Drain shrimp in colander.
- Put shrimp on a cookie sheet or something with sides so excess buttermilk doesn't drain all over the place.
- Mix cornstarch and panko bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the panko/cornstarch mixture over the shrimp.
- Flip shrimp over and sprinkle remaining mixture over shrimp.
- ***Make sure they're lightly breaded - that's the key.***.
- Fry shrimp until golden brown. The panko will get darker than the rest.
- After frying and draining, place shrimp on lettuce leaves.
- Drizzle sauce over the shrimp (as little or as much as you want).
- Sprinkle with scallions.
- Serve & enjoy.