Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe was featured on week 42 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Burkina Faso is my 42nd stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients.
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 ounces dried diced pineapple
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl. (Hint: If your store doesn't carry self raising flour, just add 2 2/3 tsp baking powder to this recipe.).
- Cut the margarine into cubes and work it into the flour with your fingers, until the mixture becomes like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and pineapple, then the beaten egg. Mix until you get a stiff dough, adding milk as necessary (you may not need all 3 tbsp).
- Flour your work surface and roll the dough out. Cut into rounds.
- Lightly grease a frying pan with some margarine and fry the cakes for a few minutes on each side, or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.