Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My favourite drink from the Hawker Centre! When you visit any of Singapore's Hawker stalls, look out for a pink coloured drink. That's Bandung. This recipe is really from scratch. This drink is served in glass to show off the pink colour.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 eggshells, slightly crushed (yes, the shell. Make sure you wash the shell first)
- cochineal food coloring
- rose essence
- evaporated milk (my favourite is Carnation Brand)
- crushed ice (cubed if preferred.)
- Put the Sugar and Water in a pan and bring to boil.
- After the sugar has dissolved, add egg white and shell (to clarify syrup).
- Simmer for half an hour for the syrup to thicken.
- Add a few drops of the food colouring and essence to taste.
- Dilute 1 part of syrup to 5 parts water (or less if to your liking).
- Make sure it is slightly sweeter than your preference because you are going to add evaporated milk.
- Add evaported milk to taste.
- Perhaps about 2 tbsps for a glass.
- Add crushed/cubed ice.
I think, I think, I think I like this! Though it did take a while to decide. The flavor of the rose water is quite unusual for me, and it will take some time to get the strength right. I did not have cochineal food coloring, so just used the red food coloring I could get easily. The egg shell and white left the syrup crystal clear after I had strained it through 2 thicknesses of gauze - my wire strainer was too coarse. Thank you very much for posting this recipe. It's always nice to get acquainted with new flavors.