Recipe by Lennie
This recipe originates with John W. Eckert of Phoenix, Arizona.
Top Review by GinnyP
There are many different versions of chili and this one is not of the type I'm used to, but it is very, very good. The only change I made was the addition of Kosher salt. I also used canned whole green chilies, chopped. Thanks Lennie! (and John W. Eckert) :)
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 lbs coarsely ground lean ground beef
- 2 lbs onions, chopped
- 6 whole green chilies
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 8 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 teaspoons basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into squares, place in bottom of Dutch oven, and heat-- this renders the bacon.
- Add garlic cloves, beef and onions, and stir.
- Chop whole chiles into small pieces and add.
- After meat mixture has browned, add spices and tomatoes.
- Then add wine, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 hours.