Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe originates with John W. Eckert of Phoenix, Arizona.
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 lbs coarsely ground lean ground beef
- 2 lbs onions, chopped
- 6 whole green chilies
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 8 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 teaspoons basil
- Cut bacon into squares, place in bottom of Dutch oven, and heat-- this renders the bacon.
- Add garlic cloves, beef and onions, and stir.
- Chop whole chiles into small pieces and add.
- After meat mixture has browned, add spices and tomatoes.
- Then add wine, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 hours.
There are many different versions of chili and this one is not of the type I'm used to, but it is very, very good. The only change I made was the addition of Kosher salt. I also used canned whole green chilies, chopped. Thanks Lennie! (and John W. Eckert) :)