Recipe by dashwanzee
Moist sweet and amazing cornbread from the Bandera chain of restaurants owned by Houstons. To accurately clone the restaurant's version, use small (6") cast iron skillets, however this can just be made in one large 12" cast iron skillet.
Top Review by Chef TMS
We just tried this recipe today and it was very tasty. However, it didn't taste exactly like the Bandera version, but I didn't use a cast iron pan. So, I'm going to make it again using cast iron to see if it comes closer to the original. Still, it's a great recipe and if you like cornbread, you will enjoy it!
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 1.23 ml salt
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 425.24 g can creamed corn
- 56.69 g green chili peppers (1/2 small can, roasted syle)
- 236.59 ml butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 118.29 ml monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Prehead oven & skillet to 300 degrees.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt & baking powder and set aside. Melt butter and combine with sugar, creamed corn and chili peppers. Mix to combine. Add eggs one-by one and mix until well blended. Add cheese. Fold-in flour mixture until mixed well, clumps are okay.
- Carefully remove cast iron skillet from oven and evenly coat top and sides with canola/vegetable oil. Pour in cornbread batter (be careful, it may splatter).
- Bake 30-45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.