Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Moist sweet and amazing cornbread from the Bandera chain of restaurants owned by Houstons. To accurately clone the restaurant's version, use small (6") cast iron skillets, however this can just be made in one large 12" cast iron skillet.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 ounces green chili peppers (1/2 small can, roasted syle)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 eggs
- Prehead oven & skillet to 300 degrees.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt & baking powder and set aside. Melt butter and combine with sugar, creamed corn and chili peppers. Mix to combine. Add eggs one-by one and mix until well blended. Add cheese. Fold-in flour mixture until mixed well, clumps are okay.
- Carefully remove cast iron skillet from oven and evenly coat top and sides with canola/vegetable oil. Pour in cornbread batter (be careful, it may splatter).
- Bake 30-45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
We just tried this recipe today and it was very tasty. However, it didn't taste exactly like the Bandera version, but I didn't use a cast iron pan. So, I'm going to make it again using cast iron to see if it comes closer to the original. Still, it's a great recipe and if you like cornbread, you will enjoy it!
Not exactly Bandera's ( I worked as a mgr for parent company For 20 years - but close) I used a 10 inch Lodge pan - I used a whole can of green chills -4 oz, minced fresh jalapenos , dash pepper plant hot sauce- 1/2 cup grated cheese cheddar & 1/2 c cubes 1/4 inch of cheddar- cubes will not just melt in- they stay & give you a bit if melted cheese you can see/ taste- 10 inch wasperfect size! Heated oven up to 300 after pouring batter bumped oven to 350 for 30 then up to 425 until finished- Make this 4 hours before you want to eat it it because at first it baked too airy- once it cools it becomes denser
One of my favorite go-to recipes for a dinner party! Always amazing!