Recipe by yamma
When our kids went to band camp, I used to volunteer. A school cook who worked at the camp showed me how to make this recipe. Now I make it for my grandkids and to share at get togethers with our friends. It's great on hot dogs too.
Top Review by Melanie M
I am one of the "band camp" kids so I know how good this is. Now that I make it myself, I also know how easy it is. I've made it when family comes to visit and they can't believe those are the only ingredients, but they are! I usually do not have brown sugar and just use regular.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (more or less depending on how sweet you like your joe's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ground beef into a large pan.
- Put enough cold water over beef to cover.
- Use you hands or take a fork and stir the meat in the cold water to break it into fine pieces (It looks a mess, but this is a great way to defat the burger).
- Cook the hamburger and water stirring it until it comes to a boil, cook for 3-4 minute.
- Carefully drain the meat into a large colander then return it to the pot.
- Add the onion and cook until onion is clear.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve on buns.
- If you would like to make this ahead to serve later, just put it in the crock pot and set on low.
- (Letting it simmer for a longer time makes it more tasty).