These oval cakes date back to Tudor days and were originally sold around the town from special lidded baskets, wrapped in white cloths to keep them warm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set the oven to 425ºF or Mark 7.
- 2Mix the melted butter, fruit, peel, sugar and spice together in a bowl, mixing well.
- 3Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and, using a saucer, cut into about 16 circles.
- 4Divide the fruit mixture evenly between them, then dampen edges of the pastry circles and draw up into the center, sealing well.
- 5Turn over, and with hands, gently form the cakes into ovals, then press down very gently with a rolling pin.
- 6Make 3 diagonal cuts across the top of each cake, then brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- 7Place on lightly greased baking trays and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- 8Serve slightly warm.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banbury Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.8
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 92.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: