Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is for the Ready Set Cook contest. I hope it meets qualifications, if not it still is an easy way to use up leftover pumpkin. It seems to be pretty healthy for you too!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (I cheated and used the canned kind)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 banana (you could use more if you like)
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Topping Idea 1
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
Topping Idea 2
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg in a bowl.
- Add sugar.
- Add pumpkin, milk, egg, and bananas.
- I mushed my bananas, but you can add them chopped up I would think.
- Stir until blended.
- Grease muffin cups.
- Make streusel topping by combining all ingredients.
- Fill muffin cups, I used the large size, until half full.
- If using streusel topping add it next.
- If topping is to buttery it will"melt" into the batter.
- Mine did at first, so I added more flour to the topping mixture.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool and remove.
- If using icing mixture, blend all ingredients until it is spreadable.
- Then spread or drizzle over muffins.
These tasted wonderful, although I had to cook them an extra 5 minutes, which I expected as I made them into 12 muffins (the minimum). I was disappointed in the presentation though. They are so very tender that they don't stand up firmly. As I removed them from the muffin tin, they collapsed some from their own weight. Also, the streusel topping was on the verge of burning by the time they tested done using the toothpick test. DD#3 ate hers completely, looking away the whole time because she said, 'These taste wonderful, Mom, but they look awful.' Guess I won't serve them to guests, but we'll certainly have them ourselves occasionally. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Love them. Alterations: I used 2 bananas instead of 1, I might like even more for next time. I also tried topping idea 1, but they are still very good even without a topping.
Tasty, moist muffins. I used a modified version of the orange juice glaze, and it was sticky but good.