Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A Creole dessert from the Seychelles. Taken from the Worldwide Gourmet and Posted for ZWT7
- 3 large plantains
- 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 0.25 ml ground nutmeg
- 226.79 g can coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel the plantains; halve them both lengthwise and width wise to obtain 4 pieces each.
- In a fairly large, deep pot, place the cinnamon leaves or cinnamon stick, and then the plantain pieces. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, nutmeg and grated vanilla.
- Add the coconut milk - it should practically cover the plantains.
- Bring to a boil and boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes over fairly high heat.
- Reduce the heat and continue cooking for 25 minutes or until the liquid has reduced considerably, leaving a little sauce in the pot to spoon over the bananas.