Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
Gkluay Buad Chi. An authentic Thai dish from cooking instructer, Kasma Loha-unchit Clark, www.thaifoodandtravel.com
- 4 very firm bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then each half into 4 pieces crosswise
- 2 -3 cups creamy coconut milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (unrefined)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- thai jasmine essence (Mali) (optional)
- Peel the bananas just before you are ready to cook them.
- In a sauce pan, heat the coconut milk. Add sugar to the desired sweetness and a little bit of salt. The salt enhances the rich creamy taste of coconut milk, especially if you are using canned milk.
- Sprinkle in a few drops of Mali essence, if you wish a delicatae floral scent in the background. When the mixture is hot and smooth, add the bananas and simmer about 5 minutes, or until the bananas are cooked but still in whole pieces.
Loved it!!! The salt is the key... its really does bring out the sweet, creamy coconut flavor. My bananas were a little too soft but I will make it again using some firm Thai bananas I have right now. I didn't use the Mali... I didn't think it needed it but I might try it next time. Thanks for posting!!!