Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Tropical twist on banana's foster with cinnamon, clove, cardamom and coconut!!!!! From Aarti Party
Make and share this Bananas Sequeira recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons coconut rum, such as Malibu (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup spiced rum (around 80 proof)
- vanilla or coconut ice cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 green cardamom pod, crushed
- 2 large firm bananas, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and then again across the middle (slightly unripe is best)
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut flakes, for sprinkling (optional)
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Safety First: tie your hair back, roll up long sleeves, keep a large lid handy and a fire extinguisher handy too, if you have one.
- Pour the coconut rum, if using, and the spiced rum into separate bowls. Never pour alcohol into the hot pan straight from the bottle as it not safe.
- Have four bowls of ice cream ready to go.
- Place a medium stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter, brown sugar, a pinch of kosher salt, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pod. Stir until a sauce forms.
- Place the bananas cut-side down in the sauce and cook until caramelized, about 2 minutes each side. If desired, pull the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pod from the pan now.
- When the sauce starts to foam, pull the pan off the heat and sprinkle in the coconut rum. Return the pan to the heat and cook for 30 seconds.
- Once again pull the pan off the heat and pour the spiced rum into the pan. Using a long gas lighter, light the contents of the pan away from the heat; it should immediately light up. Return the pan to the heat, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the flames go out.
- Place two pieces of banana in each bowl of ice cream and divide the sauce among the bowls. Sprinkle with the coconut flakes and a little sea salt over the top and serve!