Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This great cake was shared by a fellow poster named Carmen on a cooking board I frequent and was quite the hit with those who tried it, myself included! This originally came from a Taste of Home publication submitted by Oma Rollison. This is terrific and needs no frosting making it a perfect snack cake.
- 78.07 ml shortening
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 473.18 ml flour
- 6.16 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 177.44 ml chopped walnuts or 177.44 ml pecans
- In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended; stir in vanilla and bananas.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to banana mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool, then dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
- *UsefulTip: Or replace sour cream with 1 cup of banana yogurt or vanilla yogurt.
I make this recipe almost weekly for "coffee and..." at Church. I was sick a few weeks ago, and my husband told me several people asked where the banana bread was. I'd say it's a hit!! I make it with plain fat free yougart sometimes, and use whole wheat flour most of the time. I've made it with pecans, or walnuts, but often leave out the nuts, and it's great every time! Thanks!!
It was delicious! I did not add any nuts since my family does not like them, but in its place added Chocolate chips. It came out great! Very moist cake that is not rich and gives you the full feeling and it did not induce any guilt feelings since I only used chocolate chips. :) It was great for after school snack with some milk for my middle school kids.
10 stars!! So moist and flavorful. We all loved it. The kids have made me promise to make it again soon. :) The only thing I did differently was to use only 1 cup of sugar and omit the walnuts (I was out). It turned out beautifully! Thanks for posting!